The Christian faith is about life at its core.
Your life has meaning.
You are valuable and loved.
A church should express your value as a person and support you on your spiritual journey.
Here are some things you should know about the way we see our life of faith as you view this video series:
- The Christian faith is a faith of great depth and variety. It spans all cultures, languages and continents. This is an introduction to the teachings of the Christian faith from the Lutheran perspective.
- The life of faith is much more than just understanding the teachings. We believe God is at work in the universe and in our hearts.
- Every Christian congregation has a personality. The personality at Journey of Life is one of open love and acceptance for everyone on life’s spiritual journey. We are all learning and growing. We don’t expect to agree on everything. How boring would that be? Nobody would be growing! Our life together is guided by our core values: faith, hope, love and mission.
- You are encouraged to contact Pastor John with questions or comments about the content of Christianity 101. It’s pretty good, but it’s not the be all and end all. The well of truth has no bottom. We are all walking the spiritual journey of life.
1. Why Jesus?
Why Jesus? With all the religions in the world, what makes Christianity unique? The Christian faith teaches that God sent Jesus to restore our relationship. He connected to us!
Why the Bible — Christians believe that the Bible is God Himself speaking to us, but what makes it stand out as authoritative, reliable and worthy of our attention?
3. God’s Law
God’s Law – Nobody likes rules, even rules from God. His rules may be the hardest because they are impossible to keep. Yet God has loving purposes in mind in revealing His law to us.
4. Nature of God
Nature of God – We can’t fully understand all that God is and yet He reveals Himself as one God in three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Through what the Son Jesus has done for us, God reveals His supreme attribute to a broken world: love.
5. Who is Jesus Christ?
Jesus is the most influential historical figure that ever lived. Who is He? What is it about Jesus that changed the world – and can change your life too?
6. Who is the Holy Spirit?
The Holy Spirit – As the third person of the Godhead, the Holy Spirit’s desire is to bring us to faith in God and then to always be with us through all circumstances.
Prayer – It’s just talking to God; it’s telling Him what’s on our minds; it’s honestly conversing with the most powerful Being imaginable – and knowing that He is our Father!
Baptism – Through Baptism God makes amazing promises to you – just to you – that your sins are forgiven and you have become His child. And God always keeps this His promises.
9. Confession and Absolution
Confession and Absolution – Ever had guilt that weighed you down? It would not just go away no matter how hard you tried to shake it? Through Confession and Absolution, God speaks through the church to apply forgiveness, His forgiveness, to our sin.
What are you eating and drinking in Communion? More than meets the eye! Jesus delivers His forgiveness through this meal. For Christians, partaking of Communion is vital – a real encounter with God.
11. The End of Time
What happens when this world comes to an end? At that time, Jesus will return in His power and glory; heaven and earth will be destroyed, and a new heaven and new earth-where righteousness dwells-will be created: the Garden of Eden 2.0
12. Christian Life
Christian Life – Let’s go! But how do you live a Christian life? The summary is that it is all about love, living in a way that shows our love for God and loving our neighbor as ourselves.
Updated on 2016-11-17T19:25:30+00:00, by .